I love to cook. Which is good, because I eat a lot. And I have some pretty serious food allergies. So whether it’s making homemade energy bars for mid-workout, or a tasty recovery meal for after, you’ll often find me in the kitchen immersed in my next foodie creation.
I also love experimenting in the kitchen. Sometimes it works out great. When it does, I’d like to share some of my tasty, healthy, and nut-free recipes with you! So keep an eye out for more Foodie Fridays. They probably won’t happen every week, but they will always happen on Friday (it’s alliteration, folks, bear with me!)
To kick off Foodie Friday:
SunButter Black Bean Brownies
(These happen to be gluten-free, too!)
- 15 oz can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 2 T butter
- 2 T olive oil
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar (I like my brownies a little bitter. You may want more sugar)
- 1/4 c cocoa powder
- 2 oz unsweetened chocolate
- 1 t baking powder
- 1 t vanilla
- 1/4 t salt
- 1 cup SunButter Sunflower Seed Butter
- 1 apple
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips (I like Enjoy Life allergen-free chocolate chips!)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line an 8×8 baking dish or pie pan with parchment paper.
- Melt the butter and chocolate together
- In a food processor, blend the black beans, butter/chocolate, olive oil, eggs, and vanilla until smooth.
- Mix sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
- Combine bean mixture and sugar mixture. Pour into prepared pan.
- Finely dice half the apple. In a separate bowl, combine SunButter, diced apple, and oats. Drop small spoonfuls of the mixture on top of the brownie batter.
- Slice the other half of the apple and arrange slices decoratively. Top everything with a sprinkle of chocolate chips.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Cool before slicing.
Enjoy after rollerski intervals! (Or any other time of day.)
p.s. Have a favorite ingredient or recipe you’d like to see me experiment with? Let me know, and your favorite food might appear on Foodie Friday!