I love to cook. Which is good, because I eat a lot. And I have some pretty serious food allergies. So whether it’s making homemade energy bars for mid-workout, or a tasty recovery meal for after, you’ll often find me in the kitchen immersed in my next foodie creation.
I also love experimenting in the kitchen. Sometimes it works out great. When it does, I’d like to share some of my tasty, healthy, and nut-free recipes with you! So keep an eye out for more Foodie Fridays.
To kick off Foodie Friday:
SunButter Black Bean Brownies
(These happen to be gluten-free, too!)
- 15 oz can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 2 T butter
- 2 T olive oil
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar (I like my brownies a little bitter. You may want more sugar)
- 1/4 c cocoa powder
- 2 oz unsweetened chocolate
- 1 t baking powder
- 1 t vanilla
- 1/4 t salt
- 1 cup SunButter Sunflower Seed Butter
- 1 apple
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips (I like Enjoy Life allergen-free chocolate chips!)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line an 8×8 baking dish or pie pan with parchment paper.
- Melt the butter and chocolate together
- In a food processor, blend the black beans, butter/chocolate, olive oil, eggs, and vanilla until smooth.
- Mix sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
- Combine bean mixture and sugar mixture. Pour into prepared pan.
- Finely dice half the apple. In a separate bowl, combine SunButter, diced apple, and oats. Drop small spoonfuls of the mixture on top of the brownie batter.
- Slice the other half of the apple and arrange slices decoratively. Top everything with a sprinkle of chocolate chips.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Cool before slicing.
Enjoy after rollerski intervals! (Or any other time of day.)
p.s. Have a favorite ingredient or recipe you’d like to see me experiment with? Let me know, and your favorite food might appear on Foodie Friday!